- 1 What are S3TC textures?
- 2 Why should I use them?
- 3 What are the downsides?
- 4 How do I install S3TC textures on my version of Unreal?
- 5 How do I fix the sliding player/bot issue?
- 6 How do I properly set up a server to use S3TC textures?
S3TC textures are alternative high resolution textures that can be found on CD2 of the GOTY edition of UT. They were originally developed to exploit the capability of S3 cards of the time to handle a new compressed format that has little impact on performance. More S3TC textures can be found on UT Texture.
Unreal227/UnrealGold/Anthology/UT can be tweaked to obtain some increase in graphical quality. However, the textures themselves stay unaltered and may seem blurry by today's standards. The s3tc textures offer more detail and replace some of the textures to create an enhanced picture.
There are a few downsides to using these:
- You may encounter the sliding player effect on some servers where other players slide around seemingly stuck in a pose.
- Use of s3tc textures affects demo recording. Basically to watch an demo recorded on a client using s3tc textures you should add the s3tc textures yourself.
- Not all textures have been enhanced, so you will only see a change in maps such as DM-Codex, DM-Curse DM-Phobos and others.
- Instructions for Unreal227
- Instructions for Unreal Gold
- Instructions for Anthology
- Instructions for Unreal Tournament
Read this entire document first before installing.
This works best using a new installation of UT that has been patched to 436. This document explains how to successfully use the S3TC high resolution textures that come on UT CD #2 whether you have already installed the UT CD #2 or not. These instructions are for "player/client side" installations only and NOT for server-side use! Be aware that some Anti-Cheat programs may not allow you to connect to the server if you use S3TC textures.
You've installed the high resolution S3TC textures from the UT CD #2 and went online to play and noticed that the other players and bots move without any animation. They look like frozen players sliding around like they were ice skating statues sliding on one foot while there head was looking down the whole time. When a bot or player was fragged, a frozen image of them stayed where they died but was standing up and no longer moved or took damage. This confused you since you attack them thinking they were players that are standing still, but no damage happens and they never fall down or fade away.
This document explains how to install the high resolution S3TC textures and fix it so that the frozen skating player/bot syndrome doesn't happen. Unfortunately, if this doesn't work then you will most likely need to reinstall UT.
Insert your UT CD #1 and select cancel if it tries to install. Open UT CD #1 and copy the folder called "Textures" over your current copy of the Textures folder in your UnrealTournament folder. Now follow the directions on installing Unreal Tournament .
Never install the S3TC textures when running a server. Servers should have the standard textures installed. If you install the S3TC textures and run a server it will cause problems. The server will run smoother for clients with the standard textures that came with the game installed.
All logos and trademarks are properties of their respective owners.
Unreal™ is a registered trademark of Epic Games Inc.
Website by Softly
Powered by RUSH